Movie theatres face serious challenges filling seats as they compete with more convenient and economical sources of entertainment. There’s no denying that it’s more convenient to stay at home and watch Netflix in your pajamas and chill than to go out to the theatres. It’s also much cheaper to wait and rent a new release on Red Box than to see a movie in the theatres. Movie theatres can’t compete with convenience and price, and must find other ways to appeal to the college crowd and increase movie theatre attendance.
Sidewalk chalk advertising is a cost-effective way to get your ad in front of students and build brand awareness on college campuses.
3 Reasons Why Brands Should Utilize Chalk Ads when Advertising to Students
1. College Campuses Have a High Concentration of Foot Traffic
Colleges and universities are designed for pedestrians and walking is the main way students get around. Campus sidewalks are filled with students, as students walk between classes or head to the dining hall for lunch. College sporting events also draw large crowds of pedestrian traffic to campuses. All this foot traffic, makes sidewalk chalk ads a great way to increase brand awareness on campus!
Want to reach 49 million college football attendees at the biggest games of the year? Explore 8 college tailgate marketing event ideas and learn how brands can create interactive game day experiences for fans.
8 College Tailgate Marketing Event Ideas
1. Set Up Branded Tailgate Tents with Sample Giveaways
Have a product college students will love? Consider setting up branded tents in popular tailgating areas and giving away free samples. College students will happily take free items, especially if they contribute to the game day experience in some way.
2. Launch Mobile Bus Tailgating Tours
Mobile bus tailgating tours allow brands to create a memorable experience for tailgate attendees. With mobile tours, brands have the opportunity to engage customers face to face and have two-way conversations with customers. Brands can have hands-on product demonstrations, as well as social and digital contests to keep the communication going after the bus leaves.
Check out NAM Youth Marketing’s top college marketing blog posts of 2016 by pageviews. Read the best college marketing ideas, strategies, and tips. Plus, a look into college advertising brand awareness programs that work.
Read Our Top College Marketing Blog Posts of 2016
1. 5 Experiential College Marketing Ideas that Work
Looking for new and exciting ways to market to college students? This blog post explores 5 experiential college marketing ideas and why they work. From mobile college marketing tours to lead generation campaigns, this blog will give you innovative ideas to reaching and engaging the lucrative college audience.
Geo-targeting delivers ads and coupons to the phones of tech savvy, on-the-go college students. Learn effective ways to advertise to college students using geo-targeting.
3 Effective Ways to Advertise to College Students Using Geo-Targeting
1. Use Real-Time Geo-Targeting to Advertise to Students
If you walk onto any college campus, you will see college students on their phones and many students claim they are addicted to their phones. A study conducted at Baylor University found that students spend 8 to 10 hours daily on their cell phones. This type of media usage means that advertisers must look into effective ways of reaching students through mobile advertising.
The best way to expose students to your energy drink and get them excited about your brand is to let them experience it. On campus sampling gives your brand that opportunity. For effective on campus sampling promotions, it’s important to pay attention to timing and approach.
Key Times for Energy Drink College Sampling Promotions
Timing is critical when distributing energy drinks to students. You want to make sure you’re providing samples to students when they need it most and will most appreciate the energy boost.
- Early Morning Rush: Consider handing energy drinks out as students leave their dorms in the early morning or passing out bottles at high-traffic bus stops as students arrive on campus. Mornings are always tough on students and they will appreciate the extra jolt of energy.
- Midterms, Finals, and Late Night Cram Sessions: Midterms and Finals week are stressful times on campus as students rush to get in papers and study for their exams. Energy drink companies can help students during this hectic period by passing out energy drinks in campus libraries, study areas, computer labs, and student lounges.
- As Students Enter the Gym: Athletes and fitness conscious students are always looking for ways to get the most out of their workout and gym session. A caffeine boost can help push them to their limits and provide them with extra motivation. Giving away free energy drinks at gyms is particularly beneficial for energy drink companies that specialize in healthy, all natural, organic, and/or low-calorie energy drinks.
- Large Events on Campus: If you’re a start-up energy drink company or are just trying to reach as many students as possible, in a short amount of time, consider promoting samples at large scale events, such as tailgating events, concerts, athletic events, homecoming, and other high-traffic venues.
College Brand Ambassador Strategies for Energy Drink Companies
One of the most common misconceptions about college marketing is that all brand ambassadors are the same. This couldn’t be further from the truth. Brand ambassadors can make or break your campaign. They are the people who interact with students and promote your company, so it’s important you select the right people for the job.
Want to market to college students this fall? Here are 3 college marketing tips to utilize during back to school to make your marketing campaign a success.
3 College Marketing Tips to Utilize During Back to School
Make Personal Connections with Students During Back to School
Back to school is an exciting time for students. Freshmen will be beginning their collegiate journey, while upperclassmen will be reconnecting with friends and reacquainting themselves with their university.
Back to school is an excellent time for brands to connect and engage with students on campus. Excitement will be high as students prepare for their new classes and the start of the semester. The trick to successful back to school marketing is to make personal connections with students.
Building brand awareness on campus is an essential college advertising strategy. In the third and final part of this series we’re going to explore 3 college advertising brand awareness programs and why they work. If you’re not caught up on the series, check out part 1 and part 2.
Effective College Advertising Brand Awareness Programs Part 3
7. College Poster Advertising
College poster advertising is where poster ads are placed on campus bulletin boards in prominent locations at select universities and colleges. Poster advertising can be broad in scope, generating brand awareness throughout the entire campus, or it can be highly targeted, placing posters ads in hard science classrooms.
This blog post explores 3 effective college advertising brand awareness programs that can be utilized on college campuses. Check out this post, if you missed part 1.
College Advertising Brand Awareness Programs Part 2
4. College Advertising Kiosks
College advertising kiosks are free-standing out-of-home advertising displays that are placed in high-traffic locations on college campuses and are used to reach students as they walk around campus. These large, advertising panels attract students’ attention due to their size and prominent placement around campus. Companies can build brand awareness on campus by strategically placing them near entryways, newspaper racks, ATMs, vending machines, and FedEx, USPS, and UPS drop boxes. Raise awareness and advertise to students with college advertising kiosk displays!